The beauty industry needs a serious awakening, and it finally seems like some celebs are trying to wake it up. For what seems like forever, the advertising world has been pumping this image of out there of what the “ideal” woman in the industry looks flawless, thin, perfect — and digitally altered. Whether they refuse to accept or are choosing to deny, that it can make those exposed to it, wish to achieve it, the bottom line is: it can. The thing to remember is that it’s called an “ideal” for a reason. These images aren’t realistic — and they’re rarely ever real. Well, some celebs have had enough and now voice their opinions to change the image that’s out there to a normal one — and they’re doing it without the use of Photoshop.
1. Kelly Clarkson. Self Magazine has come under rapid fire for their latest use of good ol’ Photoshop on the original American Idol winner. After delivering an interview making those wanting a change in the way beauty is defined rejoice, the magazine pretty much told Clarkson — and us — that’s great, but not for our publication. You see, what Clarkson said on the inside, wasn’t accurately reflected on the outside—isn’t that our society in a nutshell? Anyway, the singer told E! Online, “When people talk about my weight, I’m like, ‘You seem to have a problem with it; I don’t. I’m fine!’” An attitude that represents the “Slim Down Your Way” theme of the magazine… but apparently not enough to leave her image untouched.
2. Kate Winslet. The super gorgeous British actress has made absolutely no apologies for those fantastic curves — and chooses to flaunt ‘em. After seeing the cover of her GQ Magazine photo shoot, Winslet had no problem voicing her opinions about Photoshop,and what it did to her real image. “The retouching is excessive,” she told Jezebel. “I do not look like that and more importantly I don’t desire to look like that.”Her opinion is the image that needs to be put out there, those are qualities that need to be seen. It’s not super thin legs and a tiny waist, but intelligence, natural beauty and confidence — and Winslet makes them more than just ideals. Finally, a woman who tells it like it is — or more importantly, how it isn’t.
3. Britney Spears. While the singer was bringing on the crazy for a while, there was a time when she proved to be one of the smartest celebs out there. She made sure those people thinking that digital alterations aren’t a big deal were the insane ones. Not only did the singer allegedly take it upon herself to release both the “before and after” photos for her Candies ad, she showed that the before is usually better than the after. Imagine that: the real is more beautiful than the fake. Take note, ad agencies! For a woman who exudes confidence, this may not seem like such a big deal, but with all the scrutiny women in general face, let alone ones in the spotlight, we kind of have to add “brave” to the list of words to describe her.
4. Keira Knightley. When photos for a new fragrance campaign launched, it had many people scratching their heads. Maybe if Knightley weren’t as popular as she is, they could have gotten away with this but she’s famous and known for her thin figure. Who are they trying to fool with those boobs?! On top of that, this isn’t the actress’ first time falling victim to Photoshop. When photos for her film King Arthur went public, she had gotten a digital boob job for them as well. Back then Keira had voiced her opinion but eventually gave in saying she “didn’t give a sh*t” but has since been heard loud and clear telling studio execs that there will be no alterations for “promotional purposes.” Way to stand with your chest tall! [via Gear Live]
5. Jessica Simpson. Almost as famous for her changing figure as she is for her vocal talent, Jessica is no stranger to media scrutiny. After watching her curves get flattened thanks to the likes of digital tools, Jessica decided to do the unthinkable for an upcoming Marie Claire interview: pose for photos with no-make up, and wait for it, no re-touching. Granted there has been a lot of speculation about whether those things actually happened, the fact remains that she was ready and willing and still brought attention to the issue. Now, back in her Newlyweds stages, Jess had viewers questioning her intelligence, but teaching girls that they can be naturally beautiful - -at any size — in my book, the girl's a genius.